This historic archive is dedicated to preserving the history of Delco-Light plants, which provided electricity to hundreds of thousands of farms and country homes throughout the 20th century. This website also aims to preserve the history and legacy of two men who were instrumental to the Delco-Light story; Charles Kettering and Wayne "Dr. Delco" Sphar. Craig Toepfer, an engineer, historian, and author on the topic of pre-REA electric light plants and solar energy, created this website which is now carried on by young engineer and electric light plant enthusiast, Christopher Gillis.
All images are considered property of the Doctor Delco history archives. Please inquire before using.
(1876 - 1958)
Charles Kettering was a teacher, engineer, scientist, inventor, businessman, leader and humanitarian. He developed the first Delco-Light plant in 1916 and continued improving on his design until they were discontinued in 1947.
(1937 - 2018)
Wayne Sphar was a passionate collector and restorer of Delco related items. He was best known for his Delco museum located in Avella Pennsylvania. Visitors would come and be amazed by the impressive display of working light plants, appliances, advertising and other Delco related memorabilia.
Copyright © 2023 DoctorDelco.com - All Rights Reserved.